One of Japan's most internationally celebrated filmmakers working today, Hirokazu Kore-eda is feted by critics and audiences alike. His films often focus on family dynamics and recall the films of masters Yasujiro Ozu and Mikio Naruse. Collected here in a limited edition box set are some of his finest works.
I Wish tells the story of a family literally separated as elder brother Koichi lives with his mother and grandparents, whilst younger Ryu lives with his deadbeat father. The boys hear a rumour that when two trains on the near completed Kyushu line pass each other a miracle will be granted and they hatch a plan to meet and bring their family back together. Like Father, Like Son finds two families in turmoil as they discover their six year old sons were swapped and they have been raising children who are not biologically their own. Worlds apart in many ways they question their roles and nature vs nurture. After the Storm once again focuses on a separated family; the father, Ryota, a struggling writer clutching at past glory is trying to reconnect with his family following the death of his father, causing him to evaluate his relationship with his son and his own role as a father.
Featuring perfectly measured screenplays and astonishing, naturalistic performances, Kore-eda's films are moving portraits of family life that superbly demonstrate the fragility and profundity of familial bonds.
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
- Limited Edition boxset (2000 copies)
- High Definition transfers of all three films in this collection
- Original Uncompressed audio
- Optional English subtitles
- Newly filmed introductions to all three films by noted critics including Tony Rayns (more to be confirmed)
- Brand new career-spanning interviews with director Hirokazu Kore-eda looking in depth at all three films
- A visual essay on Kore-eda s films and style
- What Would Your Wish Be? a documentary on I Wish
- Interviews with the Like Father, Like Son cast
- Feature-length documentary on making of After the Storm
- Promotional featurettes
- Original trailers
- Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Corey Brickley
- 60-page Collector's book featuring new writing on all three films