Viva l Italia is a documentary made after the event, trying to figure out what happened. I tried to place myself in front of the events of a century ago, the way a documentarist would have done who had the good fortune to follow Garibaldi s campaign with his camera. Roberto Rossellini
To celebrate the centenary of Italy, the Italian government commissioned Rossellini to make a biopic of Giuseppe Garibaldi, one that would follow his exploits with the Thousand and their role in the country s unification. Rossellini approached the film as he had Francesco, giullare di Dio, presenting the main character in neo-realist mode, as though making a documentary.
Restored by Arrow Films from the original negative, this disc marks the first UK home video release of Viva l Italia in any format, allowing English-speaking audience to discover another Rossellini classic.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
- Brand new 2K restoration from the original negative
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original Italian mono soundtracks with optional English subtitles
- Garibaldi, an alternate shorter cut of the film originally prepared for the US market
- Brand-new interview with Roberto Rossellini s assistant on the film, Ruggero Deodato, recorded exclusively for this release
- "I Am Garibaldi", a brand-new visual essay by Tag Gallagher, author of The Adventures of Roberto Rossellini: His Life and Films
- Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork by Sean Phillips
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector s booklet containing new writing on the film by filmmaker and critic Michael Pattison