This new edition of Sunrise (for the first time anywhere in the world on Blu-ray) contains two versions of the film: the previously released Movietone version and an alternate silent version of the film, recently discovered in the Czech Republic, of a higher visual quality than any other known source.
The culmination of one of the greatest careers in film history, F. W. Murnau s Sunrise blends a story of fable-like simplicity with unparalleled visual imagination and technical ingenuity. Invited to Hollywood by William Fox and given total artistic freedom on any project he wished, Murnau s tale of the idyllic marriage of a peasant couple (George O Brien and Janet Gaynor) threatened by a vamp-like seductress from the city (Margaret Livingston) created a milestone of film expressionism.
Made in the twilight of the silent era, Sunrise became both a swan song for a vanishing medium and one of the few films to instantly achieve legendary status. Winner of three Oscars® for Best Actress (Gaynor), Cinematography, and a never-repeated award for Unique and Artistic Picture , its influence and stature has only grown with each passing year. The Masters of Cinema Series is very proud to present Sunrise on Blu-ray and 2 x DVD.
SPECIAL DUAL FORMAT EDITION
- Film-restored HD transfers of two different versions: Movietone and Czech
- Original English intertitles on the Movietone and optional English subtitles on the Czech
- Original Movietone score (mono) + alternate Olympic Chamber Orchestra score (stereo)
- Full-length audio commentary by cinematographer John Bailey on the Movietone version
- Rare outtakes with John Bailey commentary
- Murnau s 4 Devils: Traces of a Lost Film Janet Bergstrom s updated documentary
- Original theatrical trailer
- 20-page booklet with details of the film restorations and comparison of versions